At 10:33 17/08/2007 +0300, Elias Aarnio wrote:
Hello,

I bounced into the following problem:

We have installed OOo into Windows XP-boxes with several local user accounts. We have not ticked the "open these MS-office file formats with OOo by default" selections during install. We would like to change the default application now.

I know that this is done in Windows using Tools>Folder Settings>File types.

Problem is: a regular user is not allowed to change these settings. Administrator may change this but the change is not applied to other users than administrator.

Rerunning OOo installer and ticking the "open these MS-office file formats with OOo by default" boxes does not help either.

Is there a way to fix this?

If this is so (I haven't confirmed it), the obvious but tedious workaround is:
o  Log in as administrator.
o Promote each local user to administrator status. (Add them to the Administrators group.)
o  Log in as each user in turn and make the necessary alterations.
o  Log in as administrator and demote the local users again.

Are these systems in a domain? Is it possible to apply a domain policy to permit local users to make this change? If so, it would be possible to apply this either permanently, in order that users could make this change as and when required, or else temporarily, and then use the opportunity to log in as the various users and make the change, before securing the domain policy again.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker