Thank you, Marc
for the ImageMagick-hint.
However, I need more info on the link between it and OOo.

Some comments inline.

Marc Schwartz wrote:
> "ccornell - OpenOffice.org" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>

>> [snip]
>>
>>> ok, that works, C. Thank you.
>>>
>>> However, the quality is very bad: dithered black and white only. I
>>> should find something different or enhance the preview. Otherwise people
>>> will prefer jpg or tif regardless how printing quality suffers.
>>>
>> I did a little experimenting here... try opening the original EPS file
>> and just saving it again with a new with The Gimp... then re-import it
>> to your document.
>>
>> When I checked the Preview checkbox I got a dithered image (that you
>> mentioned) on my test image when it was imported.  When I left the
>> check box unchecked, and then imported the EPS, it showed up nicely
>> (full color, no dithering).  Note, this may be due to the fact I am
>> using Solaris at the moment for my testing (GhostScript is installed
>> here, and that may be handling showing the image on an EPS without an
>> embedded preview).
>>
>> Anyone else care to chime in here?
>>

> I am not sure what the expectations are here.

Just print logos in EPS quality while viewing them with sufficient
qualtity on screen.
> The EPS image previews are going to be bitmapped images, not vector
> based.  OO.org does not render EPS (nor does MS Office for that
> matter).

Yes, I learned that. The quality is about acceptable if the preview is
put to the eps file by epstool. It is unacceptable when producing the
eps file with gimp.
> If you are on Windows, one can use WMF/EMF images as an alternative to
> EPS. These are the default vector based images on that OS.

Do you know of a good converter EPS -> WMF that retains the vector
information, thus prints equal as good?
> However, if you are going to use EPS, you are stuck with bitmapped
> previews. You can use a higher dpi setting for the previews at the
> expense of substantially increasing the image and therefore, the
> overall file size.

In my case the logo quality on screen is about independent from the dpi
i gave to epstool (while the file size is not). This is because a logo
does not cover a big screen size if you look at a half or a full page.
> Since the last version or so of OO.org, if you have ImageMagick's
> 'convert', 'pstoedit' or 'gs' installed, you will get auto previews on
> import. Otherwise, you will need to use something prior to import to
> generate the preview, such as 'epstool'.

I installed ImageMagick. I installed OOo 2.3 preview. But I do not see
any difference in behavior. EPS images without preview information do
not render on screen. Is there some trick to link them?