2007/8/21, Deena van Niekerk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Good morning.
>
> I started using Open Office 1.1.4 (on Window XP).  I then upgraded to
> Open Office 2.2.1  and suddenly the spell facility was lost.  I tried
> re-loading it, but to no avail, yet when loading onto another computer
> there was no problem.  I have since upgraded to Open Office 2.2.2 and
> still no spell check facility.
>
> Please advise me as to what I should do.  I am running other programs -
> could they be interfering?
>
> A friend loaded the program onto his computer off the same download and
> he has spell check available.
>
> Could it be because I have South African English activated?
>
> Thanks
>
> Deena

Hello Deena,

I think we have to look in the direction of your last suggestion.
The default language choice is made at Tools > Options > Language
Settings > Language under Western. Your choice should have the check
sign (V) and ABC.
If you go to Format > Character > Lettertype, what do you have in the
Language window? The name oif the language you have ther eshould be
preceded by a check sign (V) and ABC. This means that the
corresponding word list is installed. Maybe the new version of
OpenOffice.org has US English as default, and you use SA English?
Also check the styles and templates you use for the language selection.

If the dictionary for your language choice is missing, you can install
it again through Fila > Wizard/Assistant > Install new dictionary from
the web (or from your hard disk).

HTH
--
Guy
using dutch OOo 2.3 m221 on a iMac Intel DualCore Tiger