Richard Stack wrote:
In Open Office one has to go through a long rigmarole (which I still have not
completely gotten the hang of) to accomplish this rather obvious task. (I write
it out below as best I can)  I suspect I am not the only user who finds it too
daunting, and,  as a result,  doesn't bother to use simple, everyday macros;
which is a shame, no ?
The current macro recorder is "sub-par". It would likely cost roughly $250K to fix it and they are choosing to spend their resources on other features.

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/MacroRecorder

(If there is some reason why this suggestion is impractical, then would it be
possible for some clever user to devise a macro which one could copy and use to
perform the existing macro routine,  running about from menu to menu,  to
perform the same task ? )
You can create request an enhancement.
Finally, if none of the above can be done, would it be possible to rewrite the
Help section on assigning macros so that it is easier to cope with ?
Yes.
A question:  in  Open Office Draw, the macro recording feature is turned off (no doubt
for good reasons, of which I am unaware). It does, however, allow one to play a macro, or
at least it "claims" to.
The infrastructure that allowed recording macros was removed from Draw and Impress.
My question: Where must the macro you wish to use in a Draw program be stored in order for Draw to recognize it ? Can one, for example, record a macro in Writer and use it in Draw ?
Yes you can, but a recorded macro uses dispatches and a dispatch recorded in Writer may not be available in Draw.
Once you hit "stop recording"
you are taken to a mysterious page where you are asked to name the
macro  (though you need to obey the naming rules, whatever they may
be) and then you are confronted with a mystifying array of
"libraries" and modules and so forth. Once you have named
the macro, the page simply turns off without further ado.
See if these help. I recommend that you look at them in the order presented here:

http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/oooauthors2/0117GS-GettingStartedWithMacros.pdf

http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/oooauthors2/0118GS-KeyboardShortcuts.pdf

http://documentation.openoffice.org/manuals/oooauthors2/IntroductionToMacros.pdf

Off hand, it looks like you might have figured out some of these things. Have you considered writing any documentation? There is a project for that and it can always use help writing or modifying (reading existing documentation looking for confusing language and missing items).

--
Andrew Pitonyak
My Book: http://www.hentzenwerke.com/catalog/oome.htm