I've got 736 MB of RAM.
I did have the "always create backup copy" checked. Where is that backup stored? Maybe that's something I haven't figured out? I did have the recovery option checked too. The problem is, even though it normally works fine, the two times I mentioned, even after the recovery, everything was gone.

----- Original Message ----- From: "S Perry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <users@openoffice.org>
Sent: Saturday, September 01, 2007 9:14 PM
Subject: Re: [users] Data Loss

Your problem seems to be memory related. How much memory do you have? Anything less than 256MB may give you a less than satisfactory experience.

To help you in the future, go to Tools > Options > Load/Save > General >Save AutoRecovery information every X minutes. I set mine for "1" minute. That way, you should be able to recover all but a few seconds of work.

If you have space on your hard drive, also check "Always create backup copy" listed just above the "Save AutoRecovery" line.

 hth

JPL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
 I've been using OOO for a couple of years now. Version 2.2 running on
XP. In the last year or so I've lost two spreadsheet files. My computer
"crashes" (locks up). No action. I've got a spreadsheet open. I have to
shut the computer off at the power strip. When I reboot, I get a restore
file box (which normally works fine). In these two cases, it looks like the
file is being restored, but when the spreadsheet opens, the data is gone.
Any thoughts or help?

(I'm not a computer whiz; I can generally get programs to work pretty well,
but that's about it).