Hi,

You can either scan the image in another application and then insert the picture into OpenOffice. This will also allow you to edit the picture before you insert it also. The other solution I can suggest is to try NeoOffice, which is based on the code of OpenOffice but integrates better with OS X. <www.neooffice.org>

Hope this helps