hi

On 9/2/07, Adrian Try <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Christian and everyone
>
> > On Sat, 2007-09-01 at 11:46 -0700, Christian Einfeldt wrote:
> >> I need some help figuring out how to make OOo handle a massive 6
> >> MB .xls file better.
>
> > And Ian Lynch replied:
> > My first reaction is that a spreadsheet is the wrong tool for this
> > application. This should be in a database.
>
> Maybe we can have the best of both worlds. I thought about this on the
> weekend, and now that I'm at work where I have access to Excel, I can
> confirm this is an approach that might be worth pursuing (with the
> disclaimer that a complex spreadsheet might have problems I can't
> anticipate).

Holden Aust has whittled the file down to 1.7 MB, and so I am about to go
test it in OOo on the machine that the teacher will be using.  I agree that
using OOo Base would be a superior solution, but as my time is limited and I
have never used Base (or any other database before) I am hesitant to give it
a try with now only about 16 hours or so before the teacher will need to use
it.

Holden has whittled down the file to 1.7 MB as an .xls file and 383 kb as a
.ods (ODF) spreadsheet.  Now I am going to see if it loads well on the
actual machine the teacher might be using.  If we can get that done, then we
will try using Adrian's tips for creating a Base solution.

Thanks to everyone who has replied to this thread!