John W. Kennedy wrote:
John Meyer wrote:
Harold Fuchs wrote:
Slightly off topic but of interest, I think. Sorry if it's old news - I've
been away.

Okay, forgive me for being the idjit on this one, but given Microsoft's proprietary nature, why in the world would it want to make OOXML an "open standard"?

Because, for the first time, they're competing with an open standard, and meanwhile, anyone computer-savvy and sane has figured out by now that documents to be archived should be kept in an open-standard form.

Of course, OOXML isn't really open anyway. It provides only the illusion of openness.

Ah, sorta like if you paint the walls white your room seems bigger.