On Friday 21 September 2007 22:27:50 Jim Hartley wrote:
> Where is there a good-but-brief description of those differences
> (between "official" OO and FC6 version)?
> I am using the FC6 version, but wonder if I ought to switch. Are
> the differences worth giving up the package mgr and automatic
> updates? Especially since the FC6 version is 2.0.4, but I assume
> if I go to Fedora 7 I'll get a newer OO. Doing a tarball or other
> non-RPM install is NOT a problem for me.
>
> Jim Hartley
>
> Dan Lewis wrote:
> > On Friday September 21 2007 04:00 am, root wrote:
> >> Trying to follow the update announcement in Fedora c6 for 4
> >> packages updates available for XML-commons etc. the update
> >> fails. Dependencies state xml-commons= 0:1.3.02-0.b2.7jpp.10
> >> to be missing. It is not missing but the name is slightly
> >> different, the = fails. So I ask for debugging the update.
> >
> >     You need to address that issue to the Fedora mailing list.
> > They modify OpenOffice.org slightly to fit their business
> > model. It is not the same as the version available on the
> > www.openoffice.org web site. There are some things that do not
> > work in the Fedora version that work in the OOo web site
> > version.
> >
> > Dan

to find a post titled *Fedora/RH policies sometimes suck* where I
shared detailed information about a huge difference in
functionality in Calc between the fedora versions of OpenOffice.org
and the Official versions of OpenOffice.org. The post I started on
that mailing list sparked a fire storm. There must have been more
200 posts on that one topic. I am no longer on that list because I
switched from Fedora after 4 years when F7 came out. I use
PCLinuxOS 2007 and love it they even have the official version of
OpenOffice.org as part of their distro. They update OpenOffice.org
rather quickly when a new version comes out.

--
http://24.197.142.167/ See the OpenOffice.org FAQ
Microsoft users go to http://www.pclinuxos.com for a great user