James Lockie wrote:
How do I change the horizontal line I inserted to be solid?
It looks like a thin box right now.
I inserted a plain one.

Did you use the menu item Insert -> Horizontal Ruler ... ?

If so you have inserted the first graphic rule which is supposed to look like a very thin box.

To insert an ordinary line, try typing three hyphens followed by a line-feed.

Or use Format -> Paragraph ... -> Borders and then set a border of the thickness you want at the top or bottom of the current paragraph.

Jim Allan