Michele wrote:
On 9/27/07, mlsa30 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hi,

  I watched the guided tour for how to use Impress, but it is hard for me
to follow.  I have never used anything like this before.  How do you make a
slide that has a black background with white text?

  It would help if during the guided tour there was someone explaining
what they were doing while they were doing it.  (I know it tells you what
they are going to show you how to do before they show you, but you just see
things being clicked on, but no one telling you anything like - you click
here to do this, then this will do this, you do this because...,
etc...).  This would help out a lot - at least I think so.  I understand
some of it, but is there anything else that can help explain in more detail
how to use this?

  Thank you,
  Melissa

---------------------------------
Check out  the hottest 2008 models today at Yahoo! Autos.

Hello Melissa,

You should try the user guide which you can buy at this address:
http://www.lulu.com/content/881167
or download for free at this address:
http://oooauthors.org/en/authors/userguide2/impress/published/0500IG-ImpressGuide.odt

To answer your question directly, In Normal view, select Format > Page. Go
to the background tab and choose Color from the drop down list, then Black
in the list of samples that appear.
Decide if you want to apply the background to all the slides or only to the
current one.
The text should automatically be in white.

Cheers,

Michele

Also, even though it is not for Impress the procedures are very similar, if you can find a discounted copy of a Power Point book it should help. Even a very old copy will give you the concepts if not the actual key strokes to use. I have, many times, referred to some of my old books & training manuals for ideas that I then look at the newer versions knowing basically something can be done & was done a particular way so now it is a challenge to see how the method may, or may not, have changed. The concept of indexing for Word Star & Word Perfect work for Word, Star Office & Open Office Writer in similar ways. It may take some reading & experimenting but it will come to you. By the way these are not to replace the Open Office documentation but to supplement it with ways of looking at a problem from a little different perspective. Some times one writer can trigger understanding where another just didn't reach the reader that time.

James