On Sunday September 30 2007 04:13 pm, rrblackmun wrote:
> Has anyone successfully downloaded & installed the .deb version of
> OO_2.3 from the Openoffice.org download page?
>
> If so, I'd appreciate a brief description of how you did it or a URL for
> a forum post. (Responses to posts on Ubuntu / Kubuntu forums have
> yielded several suggestions for installing packages, but none of them
> have worked with OO_2.3.)
>
> -Bob Blackmun

   I have OOo 2.3.0 running on Ubuntu 7.04.

 Here is a method for all Debian based distros :

 1. Remove all the packages from the installed Ubuntu version .
 Go to Synaptic or your package manager and mark all the openoffice.org2
packages installed to be removed. This is mandatory for your first upgrade
of the distro delivered OOo version, no need to to that for the next
upgrades.
 For Ubuntu, the system will also remove the ubuntu-desktop package. No
worry, this is a meta package that can be removed safely. But in case you
want to upgrade your whole distro, you'll have to install back this
package (and the OOo original version).

 2. Download the tarball (.tar.gz file) containing the .deb files from the
official OOo web site  See here :
http://download.openoffice.org/index.html.
  3. Extract the tarball in a directory
 Open a terminal and :
 Code:
  tar -vxzf OOo_2.3.0rc3_20070910_LinuxIntel_install_en-US_deb.tar.gz

   You should see a new folder OOG680_m5_native_packed-1_en-US.9221. (Newer
versions will be numbered differently as they are made available.)
 Go to the DEBS subfolder

Code:
  cd OOG680_m5_native_packed-1_en-US.9221/DEBS

 4.  Install the .debs

Code:
  sudo dpkg -i *.deb

5. Update the Gnome menu
 To be adapted according to your desktop manager, see the content of the
desktop-integration subfolder.

Code:
  cd desktop-integration
 sudo dpkg -i openoffice.org-debian-menus_2.#.#-#_all.deb

   Here you are, menus should have been updated.