Many thanks for your assistance. My real concern was that a potential user may have difficulty in setting the program up without an automatic generation of an Icon to indicate that it had been successfully loaded.
Once again thanks for assistance.
John McGlinn
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dave Barton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <users@openoffice.org>
Cc: "John McGlinn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2007 1:39 PM
Subject: Re: [users] Program loading

- -------- Original Message --------
From: John McGlinn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon 01 Oct 2007 12:50:48 EST

OpenOffice - Loading

Using the WindowsXP Operating system I have downloaded 2 versions of
what was listed as version 2.3 from my ISP Telstra Australia. The
download files were:-

OOo_2.3.0_Win32Intel_inst_en-US.exe (108480 Kb)

Ooo_2.3.0_Win32Intel_install_wJRE_en_US.exe (121688 Kb downloaded
23.09.2007)

They are both the same program, except that the second one includes and
installs JRE (Java Runtime Environment). Java is utilized for some of
the program's functions.

Execution of these .exe files...
8<-- snip -->8
As this appears to be rather a circuitous route to gain access to the
program and one that I do not think you would normally utilize, I
would appreciate your advice as to how I could redress the situation!
Many thanks for any assistance

John McGlinn

John, I am not sure what you are endeavoring to achieve here, but if it
is to simply install the Windows version 2.3.0 of OOo (OpenOffice.org),
you appear to be very seriously over-complicating the process.

I suggest you try the following:

* Go to the Control Panel and uninstall OOo.

* With the exception of "Ooo_2.3.0_Win32Intel_install_wJRE_en_US.exe"
(the installer package), delete all files related to OOo. This includes
anything remaining in the "C:\Program Files\OpenOffice.org 2.3" folder.

* Create a new temporary folder. Name it something like "Stuff", or
whatever you please.

* Now find the file "Ooo_2.3.0_Win32Intel_install_wJRE_en_US.exe" you
downloaded before and execute/run it to start the installation process.
Note: this is a self-extracting archive, which will extract its contents
and auto-start the installation process.

* Before the extraction process starts you will be asked where you want
to put the installation files. At this point, click the "Browse" button
and point it to extract into the "Stuff" temporary folder you created
earlier and click OK. *_IMPORTANT_* do NOT accept the default option to
extract to your desktop, otherwise you will finish up with crap and
garbage unnecessarily scattered all over your desktop, which you will
have to manually clean up later.

* Normally, when the extraction process has finished the installer
program runs automatically. If this does not happen, go to the "Stuff"
temporary folder you created earlier and execute/run the "setup.exe"
file you will find there and this will start the install process.

* When OOo has been successfully installed you will find the programs
under the Start button "All Programs" menu.

* There is no automatic clean up after the install process finishes, so
now you can delete the "Stuff" temporary folder you created earlier.

* Unlike the extraction process, the installation procedure does not
place anything on your desktop, but it is a simple process to create
your own shortcuts to the program modules found in the "C:\Program
Files\OpenOffice.org 2.3\program" folder:
swriter.exe
scalc.exe
simpress.exe
sdraw.exe
sbase.exe

You may also find the information on this page useful:
http://download.openoffice.org/common/instructions.html

For additional information see the links given in my signature.

Hope this helps.

Dave

- --
This is a mailing list which exists to support users of OpenOffice.org
All answers are given by other users who volunteer their time.
If you are not subscribed to this mailing list you may not see all the
replies to your query. Please reply to users@openoffice.org only.
You should also be aware that all details of messages posted to this
list are publicly available to anyone with an Internet connection
For mailing list info see: http://www.openoffice.org/mail_list.html
For on-line support see: http://support.openoffice.org/index.html
For a knowledge base see: http://mindmeld.cybersite.com.au/