On 11 Oct 2007 at 7:20, Richard Detwiler wrote:
> This has been discussed on many occasions on this list. There are valid
> arguments pro and con. The argument against requiring someone to
> subscribe to the list to post is that often they just want an answer to
> a reasonably simple question; to inflict the hundreds of postings a week
> on them that this list generates, to get their question answered, might
> not be a good thing either. What generally happens is that the person

I think that's an argument for having list submissions scanned by some
sort of FAQ engine, which could return the most likely answer(s), a
reference to the OOo list archives (and google!),  plus a note that
subscription would allow access to some real intelligence :-)

I'm not convinced answering every "will it run on vista" question is a
good use of anyone's time.

Maybe this really does need transferring to 'discuss'.
--
various incoming sites blocked because of spam; see
http://www.scottsonline.org.uk for a list and openpgp crypto key