Erik,

Thank you for the answer.  That formula works find!

Ralph
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Erik Remmelzwaal
  Cc: users@openoffice.org ; mat1500
  Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2007 3:11 PM
  Subject: Re:

  The result of the =SUMIF(..) when all numbers are >0 is 0. So just a SUM(..)
is not sufficient. I guess you need something like
  =IF( SUM(...) < 0; SUM( ...); 0)

  Erik

   said the following on 8:59 PM:
    &lt;div class="moz-text-flowed" style="font-family: -moz-fixed"&gt;Ralph:
Please respond only to the list (users@openoffice.org), not to me
    directly. That way, others can also help if needed.
    things. You don't want to do a "SUMIF". You just want a simple "SUM". So
    it would be =SUM(B5:D5)
    function, but maybe there's still something I'm missing.
is&lt;0 so
    the sum I expect is -5.&nbsp; The formula =sumif(b5:d5;"&lt;0";(b5:d5)
gives
    the answer -9 which is the sum of the negative numbers.&nbsp; I would like
    the answer to be -5.&nbsp; How do I change the formula?&nbsp; Any help
greatly
    appreciated.&nbsp; I will also send this answer to users in hopes of an
    answer.
PROTECTED]&gt;
=sumif(b5:d5;"&lt;0";(b5:d5) so that if
    b5+c5+d5 is a negative number I will get (what I want) the actual
    negative sum and not just the sum of the negative numbers?&nbsp; B5 is a
    positive number.&nbsp; I am registered and I still have been unable to
    get an answer to any of my questions.&nbsp; Please let me know what I am
    doing wrong.
    result. I don't quite understand the difference between "the actual
    negative sum" and "the sum of the negative numbers". Maybe if you
    including some actual numerical examples, I and others could help you
    figure out what formula would do what you're after.