On 10/11/2007 03:48 PM, James Knott wrote:
> Al Hodges wrote:
>> Percentage Error
>>
>> This should be fixed, as it is identical to the error in
>> Microsoft's Excel.
>>
>> Someone with a legal mind at Microsoft might even accuse you of
>> copying their program, when your Open Office Calc duplicates the
>> error in Microsoft's Excel.
>>
>> When I was a college teacher, I failed two students for cheating
>> because they both used exactly the same stupid wrong answers. We
>> used to call that cheating.
>>
>> In reverse engineered software, it could get you sued.
>>
>> The error is simple: In both Microsoft Excel and OpenOffice Calc,
>> there is a fault in handling percentage. Enter 5, then enter % from
>> tool bar; result is 5% Enter 0.5, then enter % from tool bar;
>> result is 50%, but I wanted to have 1/2 of 1% as the number in the
>> location.
>>
> I get 500.00% and 50.00%.  If I enter the % from the keyboard, I get
> 5.00% and 0.50%

I think the college teacher has failed the spreadsheet exam... :-)

I get the same as you & the other responders. However, I think I see the
difference.

If I enter 5 in an unformated A1 and then apply the % button from the
toolbar I get 500.00% in the cell (500% in the formula bar).

If I enter 0.5 in A2 and then apply the % button from the toolbar I get
50.00% in the cell (50% in the formula bar).

Now that the cells are formated for percentage and:

I go back to A1 and enter 5, the cell now shows 5.00% (5% in the formula
bar).

I go back to A2 and enter 0.5, the cell now shows 0.50% (.5% in the
formula bar).

So now I dual-boot out of linux to my trusty WinXP drive & try the same
on MS Excel:

If I enter 5 in an unformated A1 and then apply the % button from the
toolbar I get 500% in the cell (500% in the formula bar).

If I enter 0.5 in A2 and then apply the % button from the toolbar I get
50% in the cell (50% in the formula bar).

Now that the cells are formated for percentage:

I go back to A1 and enter 5, the cell now shows 5% (5% in the formula
bar). Note: this is due to the cell being set to 0 decimal places as
default, if I set it to 2 decimal places it displays 5.00% in the cell.

I go back to A2 and enter 0.5, the cell now shows 1% (0.5% in the
formula bar). Note: this is due to the cell being set to 0 decimal
places as default, if I set it to 2 decimal places it displays 0.50% in
the cell.

Now format a blank cell to a number format, enter '5%', the result is
both 0.05 in the cell, and 0.05 in the formula bar in MS Excel. Entering
'5%' in an unformated cell (General) results in 5% and 5%.

Now in OOo Calc open a clean spreadsheet and enter '5%', the result is
both 5.00% in the cell and in the formula bar. Calc cells default to
Number format on opening a blank spreadsheet. Excel defaults to 'General'.

I do have to agree that I would not expect a value of 5 in the cell to
be changed to 500% after applying the % button from the toolbar if I am
looking for a text change. But then again, a percentage is 1/100, or
parts per hundred, so if I enter '5' it is 500% is it not?

So, Al... I think that the you should go back and give those students a
passing grade. The issue is the conversion of cell values to formats and
preformated cells to values.