On Mon, 2007-15-10 at 16:05 -0400, Peter Rousay wrote:
> in Calc--how do I change a spreadsheet to normal from READ ONLY-I don't know
> how it got into read--and where and how could I have found this myself

Perhaps, at some point you saved it to a CD-R and then copied it back to
your hard drive?

If you are using Windows, open Explorer, go to the folder that holds the
file and right click on the file name. In the drop down menu (IIRC)
there should be a Properties option. Click on that. I think that in the
window that opens there will be some check boxes for various attributes
of the file. One of the attributes will be Read-Only. Uncheck that one.
File should be OK.

As an alternate, open the read-only file and then do a File, Save As..
and use a different name. The new file should be "not Read Only".

Good luck

Rob