On 23 Oct 2007 at 21:29, I wrote:

> I've been trying to get 2.3 up and running on freebsd, but am having a
> spot of bother with installing fonts.  The OOo package is from good-day
> (ftp://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/FreeBSD).
>
> Firstly, as installed, there are some basic fonts  (bitstream vera,
> courier, etc) which appear in bold in the fonts drop-down list, and
> seem to work. However, there are some listed in faint type too
> (Estrangelo Nisibin for example) that don't do anything useful, and
(etc, etc).

Not having had an reply from the list (unusual!!), I've been having a
closer look.

It turns out that font access is not, at least here, "by the book".

spadmin certainly installs ttf fonts into the /usr/local OOo /truetype
directory as expected - the only trouble is that OOo seems to ignore
this.  Instead, afaict, it's using the X fonts database. More
interestingly, it's doing this (or seems to be) directly: I've had OOo
running on my fbsd machine which is headless and not actually running X
anyway (and certainly no font server), and using a cygwin X server on a
win XP box. Yet fonts added to the fbsd X font system happily appear
and are available within OOo.  The wierder fonts (estrangelo, etc)
noted in my previous mail turned out to be obscure OTF fonts available
on the fbsd box, now removed from there and now unavailable to OOo.

So I have a system that seems to work and be usable - but I don't know
why!!!  Could someone please enlighten me as to what's going on?
--
various incoming sites blocked because of spam; see
http://www.scottsonline.org.uk for a list and openpgp crypto key