On Oct 25, 2007, at 9:11 AM, Louis solomon wrote:

I am operating a Mac system with the OS of 10.4.10.

I currently use Open Office 2.2, with X11. All works fine.

Now, I am ready to download version Open Office 2.3. However, before I do that, I will be upgrading to the Mac Operating System 10.5. Also, it seems
to me that I can now download Open Office 2.3 without using X11.

Before I start something that I will regret, could someone please take me
through the steps so I can minimize my frustration and errors?

I don't have access to Leopard, so can only speculate as to installing it. I would think that most people would be fine just putting it on top of their existing Tiger system. You will most likely need to check the optional installs to see if it includes an updated X11. You see, OO 2.3 is not the version which will run in Aqua - that's OO 3.0, due sometime next year. In any case, the 2.3 dmg provides you with an application bundle named "OpenOffice.org 2.3.app" which you can drag wherever you like. You can park it right next to 2.2 and have your choice of versions, if you wish. An alias to /Applications is provided for your convenience. So you can actually upgrade OO while you're waiting for the OSX upgrade...

Using a rusty Amiga 4000T, a shiny PowerMac G5, & a homebuilt Ubuntu box

Only an idiot actually READS taglines.