Alan Boba wrote:

> I cannot achieve the desired result of preventing the user from modifying
> the document, the original file, that I might send them. Although it is
> possible to prevent editing by checking '[x] Open read only' the document
> can be edited by right clicking and selecting edit. At that point any
> changes can be saved to the original file provided to the user. So I don't
> think this achieves the result I believe is desired - providing a file where
> the recipient cannot change the original file object without knowing the
> password.

Please let me repeat it: it is impossible to prevent users from
modifying a document in an open file format. You can only prevent access
to it completely (encrypt the document), prevent changes from happening
unnoticed (signing the document) or convert it to PDF.

Also Word can't do give you the security that your document isn't
changed. What Word does is that it prevents users from *inadvertently"
changing those parts of the document that shouldn't be changed. And that
is possible in OOo also, using "Tools-Options-Security".

Ciao,
Mathias

Please don't reply to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]".