--- bg <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> My query is, why would anyone actually seek out
> Works in the first place?

<snip>

> * Its file structure is unique enough, and
apparently
> different enough from MSWord and MSExcel, that few
> other formats are able to recognize it.

You just answered your question.  To share files with
others who use Works.  My wife had a similar problem
with the school at which she teaches, which used Works
because they didn't have enough money to buy Office
and didn't know about OO.o.  I was a little supprised
that OO.o could not read or write Works format.

Colin.