I came across some stuff (I have thankfully forgotten the URL) advising how one can remove the faulty X11 from Leopard and restore the more robust Tiger X11 from the 10.4 install disks.

In the process I bollocksed things so badly I had to completely reinstall OS X 10.5 in order to restore the various config files so X11 would actually start up. It took only an hour or so and thankfully I could do the reinstall without losing any of my existing data files.

I have updated my X11 with Xquartz 1.2a6 as directed. Apart from the doubling of the X11 icons in the dock and the annoying "command timed out" message if I start OOo without starting X11 first, all seems well again, and I will leave things alone.

Take home message: kids, don't do this at home unless you are an X11 advanced user. I obviously am not.

Les