It really doesn't matter much which part of OOo you start, File->Open will work on just about any file OOo recognizes. I routinely open a spreadsheet from a Writer window, or vice-versa.

As far as the "recovery" thing goes, I think that happens if you had a file open when you shut down your OS and it failed to close properly. I've seen that a few times, it never caused any problems for me.

Jim Hartley

Casey wrote:
While attempting to open any open office program (base, spread sheet, or writer) open office starts loading, then a screen about recovering files appears (the list of files is empty) so i hit okay then writer will open no mater which program i tried starting. I tried following the instrustions about stopping the recovery that i found on the list, but the two files that it ask you to delete or rename do not exisit. I'm running Open Office 2.3 under Ubuntu 7.10 Any help is much appreactied