----- Original Message ----
From: Denis GRIESMAR <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: users@openoffice.org
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2007 2:19:18 PM
Subject: [users] Uninstalling troublemaker Microsoft

Hi,
I have uploaded Open Office (Mac version - Neo Office) on my MacBook.
It also seems I have clicked on a proposal for automatically
installing Microsoft Office, which I did not want to do.
Now this is a demo version, but I would like to get rid of it,
because it interferes when I want to print files, such as documents
sent in with incoming messages.
How do I get rid of that Microsoft thing ?
Any idea ?

Hi Denis,

I like NeoOffice and use and support it, but I should tell you before someone
else does that NeoOffice is NOT OOo, even though it is hugely influenced by it.
The official release of OOo for Mac OS X runs under X11. A version that runs
directly in the Mac OS (called Aqua) is in the alpha stage and is on the
openoffice.org website available for download and testing.
I like the look of it and look forward to a beta and eventually release, but it
is still pretty flawed for regular use.

As for your Mac/Microsoft woes, MS Office 2004 for Mac Test Drive comes
preinstalled with new Macs and at least on my machines was the initial default
to open *.doc, *.xls, and *.ppt files. I think uninstalling it is a simple
matter of removing the program folder from your Applications directory. Macs
are smart--when the MS Office programs are gone it will choose another office
suite program, probably something from the trial version of iWork08, as the
default file association.

Changing these associations are easy. Let say you want files of the form *.doc
to open with OpenOffice (or NeoOffice). Pick any *.doc file you have,
Command-click it, and pick Get Info. In the file information dialog box you
will see not only a drop down list that lets you pick whatever program you
choose to open that file, but a button that lets you change the file
association for ALL files of the form *.doc. Click that, follow the
instructions and when you are done your Mac will use OpenOffice (or NeoOffice)
by default to open documents with that extension when you download them from
email or whatever. Note that if you can't see the file extension in the file
name, you will need to clear the Hide Extension box in the Get Info dialog. You
can follow the same procedure for the spreadsheet and presentation file types
too.

This is sort of OT for the list and I have rambled on. If you want a clearer
and more official explanation, search the Mac help system from the Help menu
when you are in Finder should help.

Les