Long ago and far away, I vaguely remember that if I installed using
the root user, I would wind up with strange files in my home directory
that only the root could manipulate.  Since the install is now going
exclusively to /opt and /etc, I am completely certain that
the installation must, perforce, be done as root.  Further, there cannot
be any files that get installed that have to be modified by an OO user
because to do so would mean that only the root user could edit documents
on the system.  That is so inconceivable that I am sure it is not true.

Nevertheless, why does my OO lock up so tight it takes a kill -TERM
to end the process?

Thank you.  - Bruce