Most of the OOo colors are fairly bold colors and I would like to add some pale pastel colours to the selection so that I can use them as background for differing columns in financial spreadsheets.

I have been to:
Tools > Options > Openoffice.org > Colors
and have tried ADDing a color; MODIFYing a color; and EDITin a color, but none of them work. I can successfully alter the definition of the color so that it is the shade I want, but when I go back to my spreadsheet to use that color, it has reverted to its original darker shade.

Obviously, I am doing something wrong.

How do I
1.  take a color, like Magenta 5, for example;
2. make it much paler than it is by adjusting the RGB components (I know how to do this);
3.  give it a new name, like "PaleMagenta";
4.  and save it for future use?.

Many thanks,  James
PS I am subscribed under this e-mail address, but have changed to satellite so the Ip route will be different.