On Thu, 29 Nov 2007 03:09:25 -0800 (PST)
Michel Pilloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  As I have just installed openoffice.org writer on  my new computer I want to
> ask if this writer program is compatible with  microsoft word. So for
> instance if I send as an attachment a file written on  openoffice.org writer,
> are my contacts able to open it and to read it on  microsoft word? And vice
> versa if my contacts send me a file written on  microsoft word, can I open it
> with openoffice.org writer?

You can save documents as Microsoft Word doc format with OpenOffice.  (That's
not the default format.  You need to go to File - Save as instead of File -
Save and pick Microsoft Word doc format off of the list.)

OpenOffice can open files in Microsoft Word doc format, but can not (yet) open
files in Microsoft Word docx format.