Heatherlee, there may be much simpler ways to do what you require - if so,
some more knowledgeable contributor to this list will no doubt point it out
- but here's the workaround I use to convert documents that have been saved
as odt files to doc format for sending to those who don't use OpenOffice :

   1. Copy the text to be converted
   2. Open a new, empty OOo document
   3. Paste the copied text into that document
   4. Click the «Save» icon, which then opens a smaller window
   5. There, make sure that you choose the  appropriate format (Microsoft
   Word 97/2000/XP (.doc))
   6. Click «Save» at the lower right to close the window and save the
   document.

Non-users of OOo to whom you have forwarded this document as, e g, an email
attachment should now be able to open it. Try it and see, and don't forget
to report back !...

Henri

--
老朽