2007/12/10, David Lowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On Dec 7, 2007, at 6:26 AM, Joel Kellner wrote:
>
> > In OpenOfice, when I click on PAGE PREVIEW to look at a document right
> > before printing, it takes forever to load. It's especially maddeningly
> > long when the document is a spreadsheet and the cells take forever to
> > populate.
> >
> > Anyone have any ideas why?
>
>         It's nothing to do with your hardware.  OpenOffice requires an
> open
> source GUI known as X-Windows or X11.  Sadly, the X11 that was
> shipped with Leopard has 'issues' and needs to be updated, yet Apple
> has held back from putting a newer X11 into Software Update.  The
> latest X11 for Leopard may be found here: http://trac.macosforge.org/
> projects/xquartz/wiki/Releases .  This is currently at 2.1.0.1,
> though new versions come out almost daily.  Anyway, try installing
> that package, then let us know if it's still slow to display.
>
> Using a rusty Amiga 4000T, a shiny PowerMac G5, & a homebuilt Ubuntu box
>
> Hmmmm, now where did I put that tagline?

Hello,

I installed Leopard on my MacBook Pro (brand new, but it still came with
Tiger) and updated to OS X 10.5.1. It seems the X11 issues are solved (X11
version 2 if I remember correctly). I admit I haven't tried out your
particular problem though... might try tonight at home.
So my advise is to update Leopard because Apple now includes the X11
updates.
Otherwise, you will indeed need to install more recent X11 (Xquartz) updates
as David suggests.

HTH
--
Guy
using dutch OOo 2.3 m221 on a iMac Intel DualCore Tiger