In OpenOffice Writer, open your c.v. Then, click on File > Save As and select
the format of your choice among many options. That will be the version for you
to send. Generally speaking, RTF is a good choice.

  I agree with Colin, most employers and/or their websites will not accept PDF
files.

Colin Sharpe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

--- James Knott wrote:

> Thomas Lange - Sun Germany - ham02 - Hamburg wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >> Please tell me how to make openoffice writer
> documents readable to people without openoffice!
> It's really really important as I use openoffice to
> write out c.v.s etc. and I've recently discovered
> that people can't open them and so it has
> dramatically cut my chances of finding a job!
> >
> > Since it seems you can't depend on persuading them
> to use OpenOffice
> > your best chance is to export the document as PDF
> file and send that one.
> > And in contrast to M$-Word Acrobat Reader is free
> and most likely
> > already installed on the system.
> >

> In many cases, sending a resume as PDF is not a good
> idea. Many
> employers, recruiters etc., want to copy the text of
> a resume into a
> database. PDF means they can't do that. So most
> places will take Word,
> RTF or plain text. In fact, if you try to apply
> through a job web site,
> you'll find a PDF may not even be accepted.

I don't know where you are, but here in the USA most
people want CVs (Resumes) in MS Word format. I have
mine saved in .doc format from open or star office,
and have not had any problems yet.

Colin.