This sounds like a memory problem, regardless of OS. For several years I've
been using a free little program called MemBoost by Dhruv Matani written in
Delphi 5. Once installed, the icon sits in your system tray. When everything
seems to be slowing down, you can click on it to instantly claim more RAM.

  http://delphi.about.com/library/bluc/ucappssystem.htm
  by Dhruv Matani | e-mail:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
MemBoost RAM Optimizer
MemBoost RAM Optimizer is a very light Memory Management utility which allows
you to take total control over your System's RAM. You can manually FREE a
certain amount of RAM or set MemBoost to FREE some automatically when a certain
?ALARM LEVEL? is reached. You can also schedule MemBoost to launch
automatically when Windows Starts. MemBoost takes up less than 1 MB of your
systems RAM, and less than 1% of your System Resources. It also does not
consume more than 1% of your CPU time, thus making it an ideal Memory
Management utility.

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England