I came across a post on linking Calc to external data. The URL was:
http://webtables.org/index.php/?p=6

I tried the instructions and they worked in two out of the three cases. Does
this seem like an OOo bug or a Windows issue? If OOo I'll post it to
bugtrack.

case#1 - fails
system: Windows XP Pro SP2 in a work group (not a domain member)
browsers: IE 7.0.5730.11 and Firefox 2.0.0.11, IE is default browser
OOo: 2.3.1
login accounts: one admin, two users with "User" group membership, one Guest
steps to reproduce:
1. login with account that has only "User" privileges
2. open Calc
3. select "Insert > Link to external data..." from menu
4. in URL of external data source enter "
http://investor.google.com/fin_data2006.html";
5. press enter
6. "available tables/ranges" list never populates. Must force Calc closed
and reopen before it becomes responsive again.

case#2 - succeeds
system: same as case#1
1. login using account with admin privileges
2. - 5. repeat as in case#1
6. select desired table from table list that appears.

case#3 - succeeds
system: Ubuntu 7.10
browser: Firefox 2.0.0.11
OOo: 2.3.0