On 10/01/2008, Alec McAllister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Has anyone had any experience installing OO dictionaries under Vista?
>
> I've tried File ... Wizards ... Install New Dictionaries and running the
> macro. It gets as far as "Retrieve the list", but just counts to itself for
> a long time, then reports "You don't seem to be connected to the Internet.
> Please verify that OpenOffice.org has access to the Internet". Of course,
> it does have access to the Internet -- two browsers and a variety of other
> programs on that PC access it correctly -- the second sentence must be the
> crucial one; it must be OO that needs to be told something, not the system
> as a whole.
>
> I've tried setting the proxy to all three possible states: no proxy,
> system or manual, using the same settings that are used successfully by OO
> on an XP system in the same office and using the same internet connection. I
> can't think what else to tweak.
>
> Has anyone got any ideas, please?
>
> Alec.

Are you by any chance running antivirus and/or firewall software that blocks
internet access to those programs it hasn't been told about? As just one
example, the free version of ZoneAlarm does this. Of course, ZoneAlarm asks
you if you want to allow XYZ program to have access and then remembers the
answer. But perhaps not all such software is as well behaved [under
Vista]???

--
Harold Fuchs
London, England