2008/1/25, Luca Cerri <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Dear all,
>
> I have installed open office for Mac (OOo_2.3.0_MacOSXIntel_install_en-
> US.dmg) but I can't get it to work...
> My OS is leopard 10.5.1 with X11 2.1.2 (Quartz 2.1.2 - (xorg-server
> 1.3.s-apple7))
> Download works fine.
> When I launch OO, X11 opens, and then the OO icon remains on the doc
> for a while.
> After a few seconds it starts bouncing and a popup window appears
> saying "command timed out".
> After that OO is definitively blocked...
>
> If you have any idea that would help a lot...
>
> Thank you
>
> Luca

Hello,

There seems to be a problem with the latest updates of X11. I have the same
problem. X11 2.1.1 worked fine, but with 2.1.2 somehow it doesn't work.
I guess you have three options:
• use TimeMachine to revert to X11 2.1.1 if you ever had that version
installed on your Mac

• another solution is to start OOo from a Terminal:
(mail from Anton Rang, [EMAIL PROTECTED])

> I don't know why the OpenOffice applet doesn't work (the same's true
> on my machine), but until we figure that out, you can open a Terminal
> window and type:
>
>   /Applications/OpenOffice.org\ 2.3.app/Contents/MacOS/soffice &
>
> That will start OpenOffice directly, without the (unnecessary) script
> that starts X11 first.

(you find terminal in your applications>utilities but I haven't tried out
this solution.

• a third option is to install the Aqua version of OpenOffice.org that
doesn't need X11, but is still not considered stable enough for 'serious'
work (it works fine on my MacBook Pro)
http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/download/aqua.html

HTH
--
Guy
using dutch OOo 2.3 m221 on a iMac Intel DualCore Tiger