On 29 Jan 2008 at 7:30, James Knott wrote:

> Bob Estes wrote:
> >> Probably not a good idea to shut down the computer while applications
> >> are running anyway. Hibernate, yes; shut down, no.
> >>
> > It may not be a good idea to shut down the computer when applications
> > are running, but I need to do it quite regularly.  I'm using XP PRO,
> > SP2, and it locks up especially if I haven't turned it off at least
> > once a day. When it locks up, all I can do is chop the power.  I know
> > this is supposed to be a good way to corrupt files, but I don't have
> > any choice.  I have observed Windows lock up for various reasons ever
> > since I started using Windows 386 back in '89 or '90, so this is
> > really not anything new.

Interesting. I've been running XP Home for some years now - I've found
it remarkably stable (if dislikeable). Much improved on '98; I suspect
most of the problems I do see are related to 3rd-party drivers, but of
course there's no way for me to prove that one way or another. Typical
problems are it sometimes won't hibernate or shut down, or the twain
system fouls up (which may be a scsi problem) .  IIRC NTFS is a
journalling file system, so is reasonably robust against system
crashes.

> Now you know why many of us are running Linux or used OS/2.  However, if
> you kill the power by holding the power button for several seconds, the
> files are *supposed* to be closed properly.  If you have to yank the

What?????  No way, Jose :-)   Hit the button briefly and the OS will
pick up an ACPI event; hold it down and the machine will stop
irrespective of what the OS may want.  At least, it's like that on
every one of my machines (XP, freebsd and ubuntu).

> I'd strongly recommend you consider switching to Linux.  You'll find
> things work a lot better and also get better performance on the same
> hardware.  I often leave my computer running for months at a time,

Absolutely. I have a freebsd server, which I've had running 24/7 for
periods over 6 months. But don't expect any (even mildly)  esoteric
hardware to have drivers for anything under than windows :-(

Is this getting OT for this list????
--
http://www.scottsonline.org.uk lists incoming sites blocked because of
spam