Jack Fredris wrote:
I have very recently installed the OpenOffice Suite on my computer. I
congratulate you for this new project which is very useful to all the Oo users.

Would you please tell me how I can install Hindi software/font in my OpenOffice
applications? There are many options for users of different regional languages,
but I don't know how I can install the Hindi fonts on my computer.

I would highly appreciate you for any information / help in this regard.

You don’t mention what your operating system is (Windows XP? Windows Vista?, a Macintosh operating system? a version of Linux?). There are differences between systems. Please identify your operating system and exactly why you cannot install the fonts. Is your problem the lack of fonts? If you have Hindu fonts, are they available to other applications and only missing in OpenOffice.org, or are they not found in any application? Note that after installing OpenOffice.org you must shut down OpenOffice.org and start it up again so that it can find any newly installed fonts. This means shutting down the icon in the task bar if you have one.

Generally speaking OpenOffice.org uses fonts in computer systems just like other programs on the same operating system use fonts installed on those systems. But note that OpenOffice.org cannot use OpenType fonts under Linux, though it can under Windows and Macintosh. This may be a problem for you.

Some available fonts can be found at http://www.alanwood.net/unicode/devanagari.html and fonts containing other Hindu scripts appear on following pages. Just click “Next”.

See http://www.google.ca/search?q=OpenOffice+Hindu&hl=en&lr=&safe=off&as_qdr=y&pwst=1&start=20&sa=N
for examples of people using Hindu languages.

Please do not provide any information to me directly, but only to this mailing list at [EMAIL PROTECTED] As you seem not to be subscribed to this mailing list, I am sending a response to you directly as well as to the list.

Jim Allan