> I inherited a Word doc that opens fine in OO (2.2) but all sorts
> of text elements show up when I generate a new TOC. How do I
> reset the text and level 4 down heads so they do not appear in
> the TOC?

Hello, to limit the TOC to the first 3 levels only, right click on the
TOC, then select edit index/table. In the first page of the dialog,
set the field "Evaluate up to level" to three.

In my experience OOo has the tendency to screw up the chapter outline
and this is on turn makes a mess of the TOC.
Make sure that in Tools > Outline numbering you have the right
associations between the first three levels and the styles you want to
use for them.

Hope that helps,

Michele