Thanks James for your instructions.  This processed worked on the Word document
but not on WPS files.   I attached a file to this note for your review.

----- Original Message ----
From: James Knott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: users@openoffice.org; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Sunday, February 17, 2008 6:55:07 AM
Subject: Re: [users] Convert Files

cindy hanson wrote:
> How do I convert a WPS file to open office?  I bought a new computer and
> loaded all of my old docs (WPS ) on a flashcard, however I am unable to open
> any WPS files in the new open office program.

Most versions of OpenOffice do not support Microsoft Works files.
However, there is a work around.  You can install Microsoft Word Viewer
and Compatibility Pack (link below).  This will allow you to read those
files and many other file types and then cut & paste into an OpenOffice
document.  However, installing the Word Viewer will change the default
application for Word documents, so you'll have to change it back, as
described here:

Right click on file icon
Select Open With > Choose Program...
Check "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" and
choose the desired application.
If that method is not available, follow the directions listed here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307859

Word Viewer and Compatibility Pack
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/downloads/CD102258581033.aspx