My QUESTIONS are:

1.  What is a Master Document, and when would one use one?
2.  I use Templates a lot - is a Master Document similar to a Template?
3.  How could I have made a Master document without knowing it?
4. Why can I select a single field in the Master Document, but not Select All? 5. Is this a bug worth reporting, or just my own ineptitude shining through?

You could start here:
http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/OOoAuthors_User_Manual/Writer_Guide/Creating_a_master_document

The User Manual has some good information on what Master Docs are, and how to use them.

C.