At 17:03 25/02/2008 +0100, Gerard Verwer wrote:
> 1. Although I can change the language of a document (very hidden under
Tools, Options, Language, mark 'Only for this document') I cannot change
it for an existing document which starts with a table.

> That's actually not so.  Language is a property of paragraph styles,
so you can set the language of your document (or parts of it) by
changing it there.  Go to right-click | Edit Paragraph Style... | Font
and change the language there.  You can also set the language of smaller
pieces of text by selecting the text and using Format | Character... |
Font (or right-click | Character... | Font).

> See document attached.

> The list processor normally strips attached documents before
distributing messages - and did so with yours.  So no-one will have seen
your document, in fact.

> 2. I cannot set a selected part of a document to a certain language.

> You can - using the above techniques.  If you change the language of
the paragraph style, though, it will change for all parts of the
document to which that style is applied.  If you need multiple languages
in a single document, you may wish to create separate paragraph styles
for each language.

> There is an option in the context menu when you left-click on a
mistyped word 'The paragraph is in Dutch'. But that is only a paragraph
and often the suggested choice is not what I want (English US instead of
English UK).

> That is merely one way of changing things.

> And I cannot change it or (even better) there is no option to make my
own decision (which I hate in software).

> You can.  There is no need to hate things that are not true!  ;^)

> 3. Ctrl-F7 only works only when the document or standard setting is
English. Not in other languages.

> Ctrl+F7 brings up the thesaurus, of course.  Some thesauruses are
bundled with the OpenOffice installation, but not others.  If this
doesn't work for other languages, that will be because you have yet to
install the relevant thesauruses.  Start OpenOffice Writer and go to
File | Wizards > | Install new dictionaries... .  Follow the

* perhaps this is true under MSWindows, but in OpenSuse Linux OOo 2.3.0
there is no  "Install new dictionaries" under File | Wizards.

> instructions for downloading and installing the thesauruses (and
dictionaries?) you require.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker