2008/2/27 NoOp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> On 02/26/2008 01:54 PM, Cor Nouws wrote:
> > Hello Luc,
> >
> > Thanks for writing ...
> >
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote (25-2-2008 11:11)
>
> >> Finally a detail that puzzles me somewhat: how does it come that the
> size of
> >> the same worksheets saved in Excel xls-format (as yet needed for
> compatibility
> >> reasons) goes up and down by some 25% depending on whether they are
> saved by
> >> Calc (~230 kb) or Excel (~180 kb), when going back and forth between
> both
> >> programs a few times a week is totally transparent?
> >
> > Seems obvious according to what you noticed, that Excel saves data in a
> > different way then OOo does. But how/why??
> > If no one else on this list comes up with an answer, I would suggest
> > writing at [EMAIL PROTECTED] If the question is important enough
> > for you, of course.
> >

> That would be the $5M question...
>
> An Excel file (standard MS Excel 2000 - 8 columns, 27 rows, no macros -
> just simple data) with a file size of 14.5KB; when saved with OOo 2.4rc1
> as an .xls grows to 112.0KB. The same Excel file when saved as an .ods
> actually shrinks to 11.4KB.

I strongly suspect that the fact that an xls file saved in OOo swells up,
whereas it shrinks if saved as an ods file is intimately related to the fact
that Microsoft has never released its code, thereby ensuring that other
provider's applications for MS proprietary files do not handle them as well
as would otherwise be the case. A corresponding phenomenon is observed, in
to my experience, with doc and odf files, resp....

Henri