[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
Hi all,

I have a peculiar situation where a Calc sheet was saved as a *.xls
excel 2003 for XP. Excel could not edit the formula, it disappeared when
you tried to edit it.

In OO-Calc, I tried it as well then. I have a long formula where many
cells are concatenated to form a text string. It works. Now I want to
expand the formula to include more cells. When I edit either in the top
editing space or in the formula wizard, it shows the formula instead of
the result in the cell. What causes it? I have tried formatting all the
relevant cells to text and saved the sheet as *.ods. When I copy another
cell with the same formula into the cell where I try to edit, it works
with the old formula again.

:-/
Al

You didn't convert the formula to text by accident did you? Are you missing the '=' sign at the beginning of the formula?

--
Robin Laing