On Thu, Mar 13, 2008 at 8:29 PM, Chuck Fiedler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I am VERY new to OOo so I don't personally know this is true but I have been
>  told that the OOo apps have an inability to properly handle Word docs and
>  Excel xsls with macros.

The current version, OOo 2.3.1, does not handle the latest Microsoft
Office 2007 version files. Versions of Microsoft Office prior to
Office 2007 will not open the new formats either. Microsoft does make
an import filter for earlier versions of Office to be able to work
with Office 2007 files. Microsoft's own import filters don't import
the 2007 version files into older versions of Office with full
fidelity. There is a link on Microsoft's web site explaining what the
import filter can and can't do. I would provide it but can't find the
link at the moment. I have seen it posted on this list. Perhaps
someone else can provide it?

OpenOffice 3.0 is planed to include the ability to read Microsoft
Office 2007 documents. OOo 3.0 release is targeted for September this
year.