On Wed, 19 Mar 2008 11:29:43 -0500
DREWGO <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> dijo:

> I am using version 2.3 of OpenOffice.org. My problem is :
> I do Legal work involving the Dollar $ sign with two (2) vertical bars
> and find Open O changes files that has the double bar to a single.
> Single is not acceptable.
>
> Is there a way to override, reprogram or otherwise a way to allow and
> use the double vert bar for the dollar sign? Is there a package I could
> download and install.
>
> I also could use the S O P sign, its the *s* vertically on top of an
> *o*, which is vertically on top of a *p*. Legal stuff. I hope you can
> help because I have been using Open O for a month at least and hope I
> have sworn off Word for good.

The shape of the characters is determined by what font you have selected. In
OOo you can set the text to any font that is installed in your operating
system. If you are not satisfied with the appearance of a character, select a
different font.

Having said that, you may have a problem. Very few of the fonts designed in the
past 100 years have double lines in the dollar sign. I have several hundred
fonts installed on my computer and I find only the following:

Caslon
Garamond
American Typewriter (a "typewriter" look, probably not suitable for your work)
Cardo
Plantin

You may be able to find free versions of these online.

But even if you find a font with the double bars in the dollar sign, you may
encounter another problem: Rules of your local court. Many courts mandate a
particular font or provide a list of acceptable fonts. If none of these fonts
have the double bar in the dollar sign, then the court must not care about that
issue.

I have a question for you. You say that OOo "changes files that has the double
bar to a single." The only way this could be happening is if the original
document had the text set to a font that has the double-bar dollar sign, you
don't have that font installed on your computer, you open the file, and OOo has
no choice but to substitute a font that you do have installed. In other words,
OOo did not change the file; it merely substituted a font for the font
originally used in the document. If you want to stop this from happening, find
out what font your original document(s) are set it, install that font, and OOo
will no longer change the text to a different font.