2008/3/20, David Potter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> I want my laptop to be able to open XL files. How do I do this?
>
> David Potter

Hello David,

I suppose you meen MS Excel (xls) files, not 'very large' files...
OpenOffice.org reads, edits and saves xls files. By default, it uses the
ISO-standard ODF format (ods), but you can also use the xls format.
OOo doesn't yet recognise xlsx, the new lock-in format from MickeySoft.

You can download and install from
http://download.openoffice.org/index.html
the site should determine the version you need automagically (but you'll
have to decide yourself whether you need the Java JRE, or whether it's
already installed on your system).

HTH
--
Guy
using dutch OOo 2.3 m221 on a iMac Intel DualCore Tiger