craig neumann wrote:

Dear users@openoffice.org,

I downloaded your word processor and can construct letters and memos ok but
when I use my hotmail  and want to sent any of these documents as an attachment
to someone else, they tell me they can't read them.

I reviewed your tutorials  and it said that I needed to change these documents as a microsoft file
to be readable but do you do that?  (Going to "files" and then "open" doesn't
work.)

What do I have to do to change these files so other people who don't have your
WP can read my letters?

You have a few choices.  You can pick the one that is best for you:

 - Encourage your friends to download and install OpenOffice.org.

- Send people a PDF if they do not need to edit the documents you are sending. OpenOffice.org can easily create PDFs from your documents.

- Click File / Save as and set the File Type to "Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP and send them that file.

- Click File / Send / Email as Microsoft Word and OpenOffice.org will convert you document "on the fly" to MS Word format and attach it to an new email for you.

- Set the OpenOffice.org default file format to always save your documents in Microsoft Office formats. Click Tools / Options / Load/Save / General and set the Default file formats for the various document types to their equivalent Microsoft Office formats.

- People still using Microsoft Office can install the "Sun ODF Plugin 1.1 for Microsoft Office" from here: http://www.sun.com/software/star/odf_plugin This will allow them to work with the ISO standard document formats in Microsoft Office.

C.
--
Clayton Cornell       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
StarOffice - Sun Microsystems, Inc. - Hamburg, Germany