Robin Laing wrote:
jonathon wrote:
On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 7:14 PM, Robin Laing  wrote:
Well it is official, free software is affecting Microsoft's projections.

Two or three years ago, Microsoft included a note in their SEC filings
that OOo and Linux were threatening their revenue stream.  I've
forgotten the exact wording of that admission.  :(

xan

jonathon

Someone else informed me of this. But I think the key point that I read is the issue of governments pushing for FLOSS and ISO/Open standards. Part of the reason I think MS is pushing OOXML so much.

Hopefully the vote will be negative this week.

There's some really interesting stuff on groklaw.net about this. Like how after the Polish committee voted heavily against OOXML, the chairman noticed that many members weren't present, so she decided to extend the vote by several days and those who missed the meeting could vote by email. She managed to forget to mention that if any of the missing members didn't vote, she'd consider them to have voted yes!

Apparently the European Commission is investigating that one.

Then there's Finland, where the chairman decided that since the members voted no, he'd unilaterally change the vote to yes!

Microsoft must be greasing a lot of palms.