Bob wrote:
I mostly write in English, but occasionally in French (I'm trying to improve my french). I have the French localisation files installed as well as the French myspell dictionary.

When I click ABC (spellcheck) I have to select the french dictionary in the drop-down menu for each and every word in the document, which is tedious.

Is there a way of telling OOo that I always want to use the french dictionary for certain documents?

In OpenOffice.org, dictionaries are associated with language, and language is a property of character. So you have to tell OpenOffice.org what language to assign to any character set (font) that you use.

For any document that is to be completely or mostly French you can do this through Format -> Options -> Language settings -> Languages. There you can change the Language to French, either for that document alone or for all future documents (until you change it back again).

You might have to change the language in some of your styles to French also. Press F11, and go through the paragraph and character style lists one at a time, and in the Font tab set the language to French.

Once you have a document set up properly for French, a good technique would be to save it as a template, called something like “Default_Text_French” and use this as a basis for future documents in French.

Note that if you are written a document with mixed French and English, and are using styles, common procedure is to duplicate each of the styles in the other language, that is create styles named Default_French, Header_French, Text Body_French and so forth, based on the corresponding English-styles. Then modify each one to change the language to French in the Font tab.

If you don’t use styles, you can change the language by selecting the entire document (with CTRL-A) and then changing the language for all fonts through Format -> Character... -> Font.

Jim Allan