Brian Barker wrote:

I hesitate to be blunt, but yes: you did!

Oh.  Sigh.  Wouldn't be the first time over the course of several decades
that I misunderstood something.  It does happen sometimes.
Always handy to be open to that possibility.
Glad you felt bold enough to just say so.  B-]

Registering a database means simply that you can access the data in its tables and queries from Writer or Calc documents.

Oh.  Cool!  or, as my grandchildren (if I had any) would say, kewl.

I trust this helps.

It does.  The term "register" carries a lot of "freight" or "baggage"
mostly associated with registering software in order to be allowed to use it,
or registering a car, or registering to vote, or all that other
centralized bossy stuff.
I expect I would not have been so easily misled
if some other term had been chosen.
(And, no, I can't think what that might have been off the top of my head.)

Anyway, thanks!