Angela Weathers wrote:
I am not sure which verison I am currently using because I am not at my
computer, however I am having problems saving the work I do on open office
and reopening it. How am I suppose to save it so that it will appear normal
on my flash drive. And the same goes for my email-if I email a friend an
attachment I made with open office writer when they try to open the
attachment it is all crazy and not legible. Please help

I assume you're saving in the default ISO standard ODF formats. I suspect you are using Microsoft Office elsewhere as is your friend. Since Microsoft refuses to support ODF, you'll have to save in Word format. You do this in Save as, by selecting the appropriate format from the drop down list. Also, ensure automatic file name extension is selected. You can also email directly from OpenOffice, in Word format, by clicking on File > Send > E-mail as Microsoft Word etc. However the best solution is to introduce your friend to OpenOffice, or get them to install the free Sun ODF plugin, which will enable ODF support in Microsoft Office.
http://www.sun.com/software/star/odf_plugin